Six things I gained from a daily yoga practice

When I first met yoga it was through a teacher at a local bar. It was in the middle of a tumultuous time of my 20something experience, though, who am I kidding, there are many more of those to come. We engaged in the typical “what do you do for work?” conversation and when he said he taught yoga I damn near scoffed. “You do what?!” He told me that I should try it (scoff again) and we left it at that. It’s safe to say that the only yoga I was interested in trying was lifting a glass of beer and putting it back down again. He was persistent, though. Every week he’d remind me that he was going to DJ a class on New Year’s Eve and that it’d be right up my alley; black lights, glow-in-the-dark body paint, and awesome music. How did he know?! After waffling for a few weeks I thought “why not? What do I have to lose?” On December 31st, 2012 I drove a half hour outside the city to a little studio in Folsom and embarked on a remarkable journey. After that 2 hour class I saw a lady whom I’d met just before the event started and she said “wow, you’re glowing.” I was, and I knew this was just the beginning. Since that day I’ve practiced almost every day, save for the 109th day (the number 108 is sacred in the dharma surrounding the practice) and a day while I was sick. After almost 150 practices I’m finally ready to write about the six things I gained from my practice…thus far.

6. A stable and healthy workout

Like many new practicitoners I started my practice for purely the physical benefits. I didn’t initially know what I was getting myself into but after that first class I knew for sure that practicing would help me shed a few pounds. Before I started, the only thing that came to mind was slow stretching that looked pretty tame. Then I met Power Vinyasa. I could get cardio, strength training, and a core workout in one 75 minute session. Yes, please!

(Photo credit: http://yogabunny.com)

5. Deeper connection to my body

Up until I started my practice, I would eat and drink everything and anything I craved – soda, sweets, fast food, you name it. After about a week of constant practice my cravings started to change. I wanted more greens, water instead of soda, fruit became a substitute for 5 cookies, the list goes on and on. The fuel that was powering my practice became important to me. I remember one day during week two I ate a burrito from Chipotle (yum!) and then cursed it all the way through my practice. I just couldn’t move. This isn’t to say that I don’t eat cookies or some other amazing sweet indulgences from time to time, it’s just not as often as it used to be. My body just doesn’t want it as much anymore.

4. Commitment to a process…to THE process

I’m a goal-oriented person. What 20something isn’t? When I first started the practice I was determined to do every pose better than everyone else. That just wasn’t possible. No matter how hard I’d push my beautiful 230-pound body I just couldn’t hold a side plank for 30 seconds or commit to the 20 some-odd yogi push-ups. I felt entirely defeated. That was until one of my favorite teachers said, “Run your own race. If your goal is just to do every pose we have a name for you, ‘poser.’ Commit to your own practice and do just that, practice.” After he said that I felt a huge weight rise off my shoulders – the only person judging my progress was me and I needed to be nice to myself for a change. This was also the day I committed to not getting on a scale for a while.

3. Meditation

If you’re like me, you’re going non-stop from the beginning of your day to the very end. No time to stop and think about what you’re experiencing or to just settle your mind. My practice afforded me time every day to just be alone with my thoughts and to do a through scan of everything going on internally. This is one of the most liberating things about my practice and it’s arguably one of the main things that keeps me coming back to my mat almost every day. After the first 80 days of my practice I started to learn about meditation practices and made the choice to invest in mala beads. Now, almost every morning I wake up I chant my mantra to start my day. No phones or iPad. No technology. It’s the most sacred time of my day.

2. Perspective

5 months ago it was incredibly easy to get me riled up. Raise your voice, disagree with my awesome (or so I thought) idea, engage in conflict, you name it. I was always on the edge of needing to walk (or storm) away. My practice taught me the idea of staying in the uncomfortable and just breathing through it. Don’t believe me? Go into a standing split then transition to a yoga curtsy 10 times…on each side…then kick your leg up into the air 5 times…on each side…then go into half moon and hold it for 30 seconds. Somewhere in between the burning, the expletives racing through my mind, and the thought of “I just can’t do this anymore,” I remember to breathe, and I stay. Sometimes a smile even appears. This might sound like insanity but when I remember to apply this to my life off my mat, the difference is remarkable. Whenever I feel the need to walk away or prove how much ‘righter’ I am, I just breathe, smile, and remember that the discomfort is all part of growth and the process.

1. Community

This one was the most unexpected, and really, it shouldn’t have been. My first few months in Sacramento I was only hanging out with people from work. We’d work together and then go to the bar together. This made for a certain monotony that I’ve had a hard time articulating. I knew I wanted to branch out and start meeting new people so I took to the local dive bars. Surely I’d meet new people there and I did, but by and large they weren’t the people I wanted to make lasting connections with. Once I started my practice I’d begun to meet new people, making sure to introduce myself before classes, giving out my number here and there, and then it just exploded. In just a few short months I’ve found incredible connections to people who have taken so many paths to this point in their lives. Each one of them inspires me tremendously. These are people I’d go out of my way to see whether it’s to share a drink on Friday night or a Saturday morning practice. Holding space with the tremendous community of yogis in this city is amazing. The stories, the experiences, the fun times, I’ll never trade them. These are bonds that I’m committed to cultivating. This community has become part of what drives me to be better in every part of my life from work to play. One last note about community and what this specific connection has allowed me to experience – this year my birthday was no doubt going to be a difficult one. I recently moved away from many of my best friends to a new city where I know few people on a deeply personal level. During the afternoon I went to my favorite class (how fitting that it was on my birthday) wearing the cutest little birthday hat that my friend Megan had given me. At the end of practice you typically keep your eyes closed before offering up one final Om to seal the experience. Something different happened this time. The teacher asked us all to open our eyes and to my surprise she was sitting right in front of me. Now, I wasn’t in a spot that made this ‘normal’ and I immediately knew something was up. She told the class that it was my birthday and invited them to all send me a positive wish for the next year of my life with the final Om and before I knew it, a sea of Oms from roughly 60 yogis erupted all faced in my direction. I lost it. Tears streaming down my face, I felt an outpouring of love, connection, and support from people who I shared practice with every week. I went to the teacher after class to express my gratitude for such an amazing present to which she responded, “You’re a staple of this community.” I lost it again.

After writing about these six things I’ve just come to the realization that these are things that I’ve been struggling to find over the course of my life. Everything I’ve done has been aimed towards gaining one of these things. Now, all at once I’ve found a connection that keeps me grounded in loving myself, my community, and my daily experience. My practice has been and will continue to be the most amazing gift I’ve ever received.

Update: Since I published this post two years ago I’ve become a Power Vinyasa Yoga Teacher in Sacramento, CA. Recently I was nominated to be named one of Sacramento’s Most Eligible Bachelor’s. Head here to learn more and vote for me!

Namaste.

205 Comments Add yours

1. Fortunate you to find yoga early in your life, and recognize it for the stardust it is. Congrats on fresh press, and namaste.

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you so much for your comment! I definitely am lucky to have found the practice and I truly do cherish it every day. ❤

2. SandyLand says:

Brilliant. I’ve only been practising yoga for a few months now but I am in love with it. 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Isn’t it absolutely the best?!

1. Pavel says:

Absolutely the best))!!!

3. iSergioC says:

I have always admire people who devote themselves to yoga. I wish I could do so too, yet my body is not what you’d call elastic.
    Really well written as well!

Best wishes,

1. romelantoine says:

Oh man. When I started, I felt like a tin man. It was only after consistent practice I began to feel a bit more flexible. Just commit to the process and you’ll get there.

1. iSergioC says:

Really? Thaaaaanks! I’ll definitely do so, then! I always thought you needed to be flexible by nature.

2. Craigles says:

Don’t judge your beginning against another person’s middle. I do not go to yoga everyday, and I am far from an expert. However, I do love it. I’ve been doing it for a few years, and never once has a teacher come to me and said that I was doing something wrong. Often they have assisted me, which I admire, but this is called support, not criticism. That is what I love about it.

1. dora says:

I also love how my teacher encourages me to go deeper into a pose, or just cheers and motivates the whole class. I’ve been practicing yoga for about half a year. Going to classes and almost everyday at home for a month now. I love the difference between my body then and now. (:

4. porcelainred says:

My day is always better after a yoga. It feeds your soul.

1. romelantoine says:

That’s so beautifully said. It’s the truth.

5. Hi! I found your blog through a comment you left on my blog (http://theaccidentalmrs.com). Nice to connect with a fellow yogi 🙂 Though it sounds like you are in much deeper than I am! I hope to be able to do half the things you mentioned in this post! 🙂 Good luck to you!

1. romelantoine says:

Amanda, I really only started 5 months ago – I’m just the owner of an addictive disposition so I dive head first into any new opportunity. I loved reading your post because everything you wrote felt exactly like the first 3 months of my practice. So genuine! I hope you continue the journey and deepen your practice. Namaste.

6. I’m happy I came across this post! I want to try yoga this summer and really needed the little extra motivation :’)

Take a beginner series! You’ll really get a lot out of it. Good luck ❤

7. segmation says:

What is important to realize about yoga is it can be a practice that one starts at anytime of their life. I hope you opened up many people’s eyes with this blog!

1. romelantoine says:

That’s my humble wish. Thanks for reading!

8. Jennie Saia says:

That definition of “namaste” is truly beautiful. Is all that meaning really wrapped up into one word, or is the meaning simpler and that is just the energy you try to project when you say it?

1. romelantoine says:

It means “the divine light in me recognizes and honors the divine light in you.” It’s truly beautiful. ❤

9. I’ve been doing yoga twice per week for the past year and love it! I’ve been considering practicing daily, so this may be the motivation I need to start. I’ve noticed all of the same benefits–it’s incredible how good your body, mind, and soul feel after an hour of yoga. Namaste. 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Erin, I’m so happy I’ve been able to connect with so many fellow yogis. Keep up your practice!

10. An inspiring piece. I am at the edge of diving into that life-change. Thanks for reminding me how the benefits outweigh the struggle of just getting up and doing it. Congratulations on your progress and I hope your journey continues to provide to your being. =)

1. romelantoine says:

Go at your own pace! Your mat is waiting for you 🙂

11. thesofasurfa says:

Great post! I really enjoyed reading it. I am feeling a little inspired to explore the benefits of yoga for myself 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Do it! Write about it when you start, it’ll add to your practice immensely.

12. Geralyn says:

Reblogged this on Born Special and commented:
    I do love yoga. I still have to find a group I can join and commit to. As often as I can, and on a regular basis. I love the pictures that accompany the message.

1. romelantoine says:

Finding the right beginning is critical. Much like the practice, your foundation is the most important part (apart from the breath.) Many studios offer community-specific classes that may be interesting to you. Good luck finding your niche and engaging deeply with your practice. Thank you for reading!

Right on! Keep up your practice 🙂

13. Congratulations on getting freshly pressed! This is a lovely piece of writing. Peace and Namaste to you!

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. It’s lovely spirits like you that keep me motivated to write and share my heart. Namaste.

14. Shawn-Marie says:

Love your blog. If you like mine please follow and recommend. If you ever visit Oahu Hawaii would love to meet. Many blessings with your creative process. Aloha!!

1. romelantoine says:

Will do for sure! I’ve never been to Hawaii but it’s on my list of things to do before I turn 30. I will surely let you know when I’m making that trip. Thanks for reading. Namaste.

15. I kinda think I love you in a very platonic way after reading this post. I just stumbled across it on the freshly pressed page, and really I must agree with it. I had started yoga before bed, but then I stopped for some reason. Aside from how tight my muscles are at night when I go to sleep now, I greatly miss the feeling of being one with yourself for a while. I enjoyed the down time to just sit peacefully and consider everything that had happened during the day, and with no interruptions.

1. romelantoine says:

Yoga before bed is one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. Just a few restorative poses and my body is ready for a deep sleep. Love flows through all of us and I’m excited that my writing helped unlock some of that from you. Do a few poses tonight?

16. Great take on yoga!!, and I love the bunnies doing the poses, who doesn’t love bunnies?! I’m also goal orientated; I did everything it took to get a 42 year old decrepit body over the line of the Gold Coast marathon two years ago. And then I just stopped, completely. I realised recently that what I missed the most, wasn’t all of those kilometres training/running but the necessary stretching and the physio and the just being outside in the fresh air for long periods. So I’m being kinder to my old joints and ligaments and this week, after a very long break from regular exercise, I’ve started doing yoga and Pilates again. I’m half way through an Honours thesis (more goals!!) and already I can feel that the concentration of holding poses and balancing and breathing has taken the edge off some of my stress this week. This was a very timely Freshly Pressed for me and congratulations! I’m embracing the laziest of positions with relish (child pose? stay there for as long as you want? why thank you I’ll stay like this all day please!!), and just four days in I’m feeling better, calmer and not craving junk foods. Running was a life changer for me, I did get very fit, proved to people that I had the courage to do something extremely hard, and it was great for stress but I didn’t feel like I could sustain it forever, so I’m looking forward to taking my exercise at a much slower pace from now on and being a bit kinder to my body. Namaste and best wishes all the way from Queensland, Australia 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I loved reading about your personal journey and I couldn’t help but relate to almost everything you wrote. I’m not quite 40something yet but I sure did run my body into the ground over the past 5 years. Finally I’m loving myself and doing what I need to so that I can maintain happiness. At the end of the day, do more of what makes you happy. Good luck with all of your goals. Namaste!

17. Danibelle says:

I loved this post! I’ve been practicing yoga for longer than I’d like to admit without aging myself, and I felt much the same way when I first started. I didn’t buy the hype at first, but one of my friends talked me into it, and I have since come to absolutely rely on it for my physical and mental health. The stress of my day just seems to fall away from my body like the sweat from my pores, and I leave it all behind in the room after class (well, except for the sweat that ends up on my towel which I have to take home and wash, but you know, other than that…). 🙂 Great post!

1. romelantoine says:

Haha, the best part is that the practice is entirely personal. Every time you step onto your mat, you begin your own journey. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. At least I’ve never surrendered in quite this way. Namaste 🙂

1. Danibelle says:

It’s so true. It really is a surrendering. So glad you’re enjoying it! Love your blog! 🙂

2. romelantoine says:

And yours! It’s so raw, heartfelt, and just honest. I can feel each emotion through your words. Wow. Keep it up!

3. Danibelle says:

Thanks so much. 🙂

18. goldyyancha says:

This is a very beautiful post. I share the same sentiments with you on Yoga. It nourishes the soul more than just challenging the body. Interesting how our bodies and our will can teach us a lot of things. I wish you all the best in your path and practice! Namaste all the way here from the Philippines! 😀

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. The body is such a powerful vessel that carries whatever we want it to. Yoga is the playground where it gets just a little release from the trauma we subject it to. Namaste 🙂

19. bdh63 says:

I love yoga, and some of my favorite people in my life are people I met in yoga class. There’s something very bonding about putting your mat down next to the mat of someone else, saying hello, and then sweating next to them for over an hour. I love the oms and the meditation, the quiet and the striving. Namaste.

1. romelantoine says:

You’re spot on. The bond is unbreakable. Sharing such vulnerable space is something that doesn’t happen for us often in our daily lives. Keep connecting 🙂

1. bdh63 says:

And the world will be a better place!

20. kiki2point0 says:

One of the things in my life that grounds me and keeps me sane and keeps my back strong! Some of its many benefits!

Keep practicing 🙂

21. paulinathedreamer says:

I have been practicing yoga sporadically for over a year now, but there aren’t many local studios where I am. Do you have any advice for a someone like me who doesn’t have access to a studio? I’ve tried DVDs but after awhile, they don’t seem as invigorating.

1. romelantoine says:

Hmm, how familiar are you with the poses? If you know your way around a Sun A and B you could head over to zudayoga dot com and click on their inspiration tab and navigate to podcasts. They have a remarkable selection of teachers who are phenomenal. I’d also recommend yogaglo dot com. They charge a small fee for video classes with pretty great teachers and it’s updated very regularly. What’s even better? They have a trial period so you don’t have to commit any cash right away. Let me know how it goes!

22. Stephen Sisk says:

wonderful post.. thanks for sharing..

1. romelantoine says:

Of course! It’s folks like you who keep me connected to this remarkable community.

23. neonspndx says:

This is inspiring me to get into it also

1. romelantoine says:

Do it! You won’t regret it.

24. This is a great, inspiring read. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed! I’m just about to book a yoga class now! :).

1. romelantoine says:

Love it! Let me know how it goes. I’m always excited to hear about people’s experiences with their practice. Namaste.

25. Citra Ciprut World says:

Lately I feel stressed and hesitated for some reason,
    I should tried to meditate.
    thanks.

1. romelantoine says:

Just a few minutes of deep breathing with your eyes closed can really alter your state of mind tremendously. If you’re up for it, try some alternate-nostril breathing. Good luck and thanks for reading 🙂

26. painfullytrue4u says:

Namaste ! what a beautiful journey it is to remember…

1. romelantoine says:

You are exactly right. Thank you for reading 🙂 Namaste!

27. Lisa says:

i first got into yoga while looking for alternative workouts, and i was surprised to discover how intense yoga really is! at first i couldn’t do the poses, but i kept trying and eventually, i surprised myself. i love yoga because it balances my mind and body after a tiring day of work. it’s addictive. never joined a class, but i can totally relate to everything you wrote. namaste!

1. romelantoine says:

Love your take on the practice. Keep it up 🙂 Namaste!

28. curtishagen says:

Romel. Your meaningful sharing and devotion to this craft has inspired me to be a yogi. I am honored to learn from you, and study in your presence. Namaste.

1. romelantoine says:

It was a pleasure to share practice with you this week. Keep coming back. Feel the flow. Feel your body. Move boldly. Namaste.

29. kreegah says:

Well written piece that sums it up for yoga lovers around the world. You show rare dedication. Best wishes

1. romelantoine says:

I can only surrender myself completely to the practice. “One becomes firmly established in the practice only after attending to it for a long time, without interruption, and with an attitude of devotion.” Thanks for reading. Namaste.

30. chloelai says:

Sometimes, an impulsive peek into the Freshly Pressed page offers up exactly the kind of energy I’m looking for 🙂 A great piece, and a great concept for a blog. I got back into yoga two years ago, and started making it a daily practice just over a year ago, and your writing really resonates with me. Beautiful soul! The enlightened 20-somethings are set to change people’s ideas of what young adults can be. Thank you for showing up in my life today. Namaste.

1. romelantoine says:

And thanks for letting me in! Our idealism and unbridled passion for a better world keeps my flame burning brightly. I love that I’ve gotten the opportunity to connect with you and so many other yogis through this platform. Keep up the practice. I’d love to hear about it! Namaste.

31. nooriezk says:

We are united. Each word is amazing of this blog.

1. romelantoine says:

I am, because you are. My humanity is tied to yours. Namaste.

32. cwfact says:

Reblogged this on cwfact and commented:
    HAhaha Cool 🙂

33. wvtallchic says:

Well written, and inspiring. You give a 40-something hope.

1. romelantoine says:

I want to keep learning, loving, and living. You laid the path for me, don’t forget that.

34. Antypasti says:

So glad I read this. Am motivated to restart my practice now. What a shame I live in a country with the easiest access to yoga and yet forget its importance. thanks for reminding me how good it is 🙂

35. I’ve been practicing yoga almost every day for over seven years. I love it! It is how I stay balanced and calm! Ohm namaha…

36. Wow, what an inspired blog 🙂 I literally found this after a hour of alone time practising my yoga 🙂 I was focusing on my movement and it was fantastic. Namaste

37. Jo says:

I also like that you get a little bit of time in your day when all other worries can fad away.

38. Yoga is the best in order to stay young, in good shape and to know your body. Love your article!

39. sisteranan says:

Thank you for this. I can only wish you peace on your journey…

40. bhuwanchand says:

Namaste/Namashkar Romel,

Your post is brilliant and very touching. Traditionally yoga has been a part of daily life for every Indian. Great to see that Its spiritual and physiological benefits are now being recognized in different parts of the world. It truly is much more than just a passing fad, I can say that with total conviction because of personal experience. Most of the asanas/ postures/ pose are based on the way humans used to interact with nature traditionally. Now with changing life-style and environment around us, our direct interaction with nature is limited, specially in the cities. Yoga does offer a wonderful way to reconnect with the nature and maintain a healthy body and mind.

Keep it up, wishing you the very best.

1. romelantoine says:

My uncle practiced in my presence when I was a child (I’m half Indian) but I never knew what I was seeing. Of course it wasn’t the vinyasa that is popular in America but it was still just as beautiful, loving, and an expression of such sweet surrender. Thanks for sharing 🙂

41. Namsate! I too practice yoga, and few sets of Surya Namaskar too.
    The energy I gain with it, keeps me fresh and energized the entire day!
    Congratulations for being on Freshly Pressed and Thank you for a wonderful post!

1. romelantoine says:

I love being able to connect with fellow yogis. Good luck on your journey! Namaste.

42. Twiggs says:

Reblogged this on ctex2929.

43. Laura says:

Great post! I’ve always wanted to get into the habit of doing yoga regularly, and your post is very inspiring.

1. romelantoine says:

Your body is waiting for you. Go! Experience! Feel!

44. I’ve been wanting to take yoga for awhile now, it just seems like such a good fit for me and this post just reassures my thoughts on it! I’m going for it!

45. really like your post!

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you so much for reading. I enjoy being part of such a rich community of readers, writers, and practitioners!

46. ChicGeekErin says:

Great post. I love yoga and I have been making a point to work it into my life daily. There is nothing better than exploring the possiblities of the human body.

1. romelantoine says:

I have learned that there’s absolutely no limit to the human body – just breathe, smile, and stay. Namaste.

47. Grasshopper says:

Thank you so much for sharing!

1. romelantoine says:

Thank you for reading! Your enthusiasm is palpable – wow!

48. tisha1013 says:

I want what you have so I think I will try, and do what you have done… Namaste friend…

49. Nicely said, makes me think to myself that I need to be stretching more in general.

1. romelantoine says:

Stretch, move, do what your feels good in your body. Thanks for reading 🙂

50. tisha1013 says:

Reblogged this on 30something Mom and commented:
    A fabulous post with 6 reasons why I am also going to get into a daily yoga practice…

1. romelantoine says:

I wish you the best on such an important journey to you. For me, it started with affirming that I was going to live authentically each and every day in every conceivable way. Keep me updated on your path. Shine bright!

51. Loca Gringa says:

I vaguely remember this! Might be time to explore this tranquility once again … good piece!

1. romelantoine says:

Come on back, your soul needs you! Namaste.

52. Jessica Main says:

This is beautiful. There is so much to be said for how the movement and stillness of yoga can enrich your life. Thank you for sharing!

1. romelantoine says:

And thank YOU for reading. There’s a style of yoga for whatever you might need on a given day; stillness, restoration, vigorous flow, you name it. Enjoy your journey. Namaste.

53. rainelleo says:

I’ve always wanted to take a yoga class. More reason to do so. Thanks for the post!

Go. Right now. Enjoy the experience and let me know how it goes 🙂

54. amilindtner says:

The first thing I thought of after I had read this post, is that I have to find a yoga class and start practising! Thank you!

1. romelantoine says:

Let me know how it goes 🙂 Good luck on the journey! Namaste.

55. Jnana Hodson says:

Great post! (So let me tell you what it’s like, 43 years later …)

1. romelantoine says:

Please do! I want to hear about how the yogi’s practice evolves over time. Simply fascinating! Namaste.

1. Jnana Hodson says:

Now we’re talking book-length. For me, the practice turned to Quaker faith and worship, which turned out to be the faith of my ancestors, though I had no idea at the time I started doing hatha and then meditation.
        Let me emphasize the importance of having a community in which you can meditate together and express your various insights and experiences, combined with the self-discipline of continuing practice of one sort or another. (Remember, yoga has many varieties, apart from the physical exercises — worship, service, ethical action, and so on.)
        I might add that the silent depth of meditation is at the heart of poetry as I know it and all that I’ve written in that stream connects with that.
        Put another way, life without that dimension is flavorless and flat. Period.

56. I found this extremely interesting! Thanks for sharing!

1. romelantoine says:

And YOU for reading. Namaste!

57. Jess_A says:

Thanks for this piece! I have been Omming and ahhing whether to give it a go and I did a 90 minute class last night on tha back of this. It was HARD…but I did feel calmer afterwards. Maybe when I’m not falling over every second move I’ll feel more at peace with it. But you have encouraged me to keep trying, so thanks. Plus I love the cute bunny picture 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Embrace the falling. Every single time. You won’t know how sweet it is to be standing upright if you didn’t fall at least once a day. The gratitude I have for my legs, arms, brain, everything after my practice is remarkable.

58. Cailen says:

#love

Right back atcha! #namaste

59. iamellaa says:

was it easy to stick with? Ive tried it a few times and just got frustrated.
    your blog is inspiring & very interesting, and i’d love to go back.

1. romelantoine says:

It’s a process. Truly. Give yourself love and treat yourself with the utmost kindness. The way I thought about it? If my best friend was thinking about me the way I was thinking about myself on my mat, would we still be friends? You’d be surprised how quickly your body responds to love and compassion. Commit. Namaste!

1. iamellaa says:

awesome thanks!!

60. Thanks for this post, very inspiring! Great to hear yoga has so much to offer you. From a fellow twenty-something blogger-meditator-yogi. 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

So glad we can connect 🙂 Namaste!

61. Amber says:

Beautifully said! Thanks for sharing.

1. romelantoine says:

Thank YOU for sharing a few precious minutes with me. It means a lot.

62. dannignt says:

Yoga is truly the unification of mind, spirit and body 🙂

1. romelantoine says:

Never have truer words been spoken. Thanks for sharing! Namaste.

63. Jessica says:

You’ve just convinced me to finally try yoga.

1. romelantoine says:

That’s extremely humbling. I want to hear about your journey, no doubt it will produce amazing things. Namaste.

64. isoshort says:

This has just convinced me to take up yoga, thank you.

1. romelantoine says:

I want to hear ALL about it. Go with an open mind, try different styles, find the space that makes your body sing. Good luck!

65. Marian says:

Yoga really does give so much when we give even a little of ourselves to it. Absolutely love the bunny sun salutation . . . really cute 😉

1. romelantoine says:

I’ve been holding on to that picture for so long. I’m pretty sure there are t-shirts with the images on it. http://Www.bunnyyoga.com

2. romelantoine says:

It doesn’t ask for a lot but it gives us the world. Namaste!

66. This is a very informative article. It makes me want to start doing yoga. Hopefully I find the time to fit it in my schedule.

1. romelantoine says:

Make the time. Your soul is waiting for you!

67. Dustin says:

I remember the first time I tried yoga. It was awful. However, when I was done, I felt absolutely amazing and refreshed.

68. Hey romelanoine, after going through your blog I realized something… you can make big a difference. I would like to ask for your support. A few months ago we realized an idea “The Growing Stone of Hope” > here is a link to the original video: http://youtu.be/Qz7Aav2bg3o
    Website: http://thegrowingstoneofhope.com

The idea is the following…
    “The Growing Stone of Hope” stands for freedom, peace, liberty, humanity, SUPPORT and HOPE!
    Each time someone clicks on the original video we will add one small stone to the other ones. Therefore the stone will grow and become bigger and bigger. At the end when the stone will be enormously huge we will sell “The Growing Stone of Hope” and donate and use the money to support people in need. This project will be the beginning of a story that will never end.
    The goal is it to have more than million clicks. You are the ones that make the difference. Send the link of the video to your friends, like it, post it, etc and you will be the one that supports many people in need! Try to imagine what you can reach with a click!

Pls consider this question: Would you like to support us and reblog or post an article about our project so you make a big difference to many people? We would be more than happy. Thank you very much for your consideration. We wish you all the best
    take care
    The Growing Stone of Hope Couple

69. alke70 says:

It is nice and good to hear men talk about their journey/experience with yoga! Yoga was actually developed for men! more please!

70. grankemosabi says:

The thing I love is the capability of being silent with yourself… it opens you up to YOU and in this day of constant media attention I think that is all too important.

71. The Nourishing Nut says:

I have never done yoga but it has been on my list of “things to do” forever! I feel so inspired by what you have written and what you feel your practice brings to you. I want to find my “tribe” and I know that my tribe is certainly not where i am currently sitting!!
    Changes need to be made and I think I am finally ready to feel the fear and start making positive changes anyway.
    Thank you!

72. doucelumiere says:

I’ve always had an internal struggle of a love hate relationship with yoga. After reading this, I now realize that I was trying to do everything with the wrong intentions, which was making it so uncomfortable both mentally and physically. You’ve definitely inspired me to take up practice again with a different outlook.

73. That’s the best post I have ever read anywhere; I DID yoga for years only from a DVD etc so not well! But it worked haven’t done it for a year now. A good friend of mine is in your zone I need to find a space and join him. Thank you and Namaste.

74. wearashirt says:

I swim more than thrice a week. I’m no pro, and I’ve only been doing it for a few months now. What you’ve conveyed here is so muchlike how I feel while holding my breath. Just relaxing with no anxiety and knowing that my body will swing for the next breath. Namaste. 🙂

75. aycorundum says:

Going to have to get back to my yoga practice. I love it and the way it makes me feel but I just haven’t got back into the groove of it.

76. runandtri says:

Great post – Point 2 “Sometimes a smile even appears” – So true

77. theflashcook says:

I love the part about mediation and breathing through the uncomfortable. Going through the big D and yoga has saved me and given me a few moments each day of absolute serenity and a clear mind. I had no idea it could be so powerful.

78. i love yoga and used to practise it everyday for months before i gave it up…you have shared such beautiful experiences that i want them too…am going to restart it soon. thanks for inspiring and congrats on being fp-ed.!

79. ajecollings says:

Wow.. I thought your writing and experience very insightful and inspiring ! Especially liked the yoga bunny and have nicknamed her Rosie Rabbit!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

80. alesiajade says:

Beautiful. Really lovely read – thank you. Quite inspiring too. Thanks for sharing 🙂

81. After reading this post, I am now very interested in yoga; I’ve never tired it, and I’m in terrible shape (I ran for thirty seconds yesterday and my whole body aches today), and this sounds like exactly what I need in my life.

82. Joy says:

I love this post for so many reasons! I finally found a studio and teacher I love and I do a 90 minute class 2 times a month. My goal is to do way more in studio (I do some at home as well) but I am grateful for what I am able to do in terms of practice and on the mat. As my teacher always says, it’s not about comparing, it’s about challenging yourself and taking the time for you. The story about your birthday brought tears to my eyes…what a wonderful moment for you! Thanks for sharing. Namaste!

83. Albert Lum says:

SO well written, with much presence.

84. This is great! I think everybody needs all of those six things in order to live a happy and healthy life. Whether through yoga or something else, so kudos to you for finding something that gives them to you!

85. saleschatter says:

I practise Kundalini yoga and absolutely love it! I can so relate to your post. Also being of Indian origin I feel blessed to be part of a culture where it all originated. Makes me appreciate my origins, the teachings and my body more. Thanks for sharing your positivity 🙂

86. chaitanya says:

I come from the land of yoga, but it was only a few years ago that I realized yoga wasn’t just for old people who couldn’t gym. Indeed, when I discovered yoga a year ago, I was going thru a difficult time in my life. You’re right, the benefits of yoga extended far beyond just making me look good (so good, though!). I was at peace with myself, and the universe. No surprises that I was the nicest driver on the road on the way back home!

87. josephhj says:

Reblogged this on Reworking Joseph and commented:
    Now here is a story of how pushing your safety envelope (what you are comfortable with) can bring you a lasting and enduring peace through new adventure!

88. Natalie says:

How lovely! I’ve been practicing yoga off and on over the past few years, mostly for exercise. You’ve inspired me to rethink practicing and motivated me to practice more often!

89. yoga says:

I am glad I came across your site. I really enjoy gaining knowledge everyday and your site did just that. Thank you for the post.

90. limseemin says:

wow!!! maybe i will start to do yoga now

91. I don’t practice yoga quite as frequently as I would like. But every time I step into a class I leave with a sense of peace about my life. This reminded me why I loved it so much in the first place.

92. Om. I landed in your website by accident. Interesting to know that more and more people getting interested in yoga. To motivate more people, I would share some benefits that I derived from yoga.

I learnt yoga from my father. later from books and TV (Aasthaa channel). From 2007, I am doing yoga daily morning at least for an hour with out missing for a single day. I was taking avastine to control cholostral earlier. I was drinking very occassionally in parties and eating meat regularly. With in a year of continuous practice of yoga, I stopped eating egg, chicken, meat, etc became 100% vegetarian. I also stopped liquor in parties. It was so natural that I was simply not tempted.

I was checking lipid profile earlier every 6 months. Now, it is already 2 years with out any test. I can still climb the stairs 2 steps at a time swiftly. I continue to work 10 hours a day. I am happy and my mind is at peace. My age is 64.

Wish all the practitioners good health and peace of mind.

Sakthidaran, R.T.

93. you know, i was reading this and honestly wondering when I would get bored. its the same thing i hear every time some know-it-all / gym junkie / disinterested practictioner says every time yoga rocks their world. (including me! I have said the same thing so many times)
    but i didn’t get bored. it didnt even sound the same.
    there was something really earnest here, in your post dude, that was touching. maybe it was the birthday Om or the way you stuck to this practice, but this tear represents the community you created here through our virtual link. Om shanti.

94. I’m currently doing a 30 day yoga challenge after practicing for two years. As a single mom, it’s so hard to actually make it to class on weekends without sitters…but I’m now forcing my sons to go and wait and watch. My older son babysits his 4-year-old brother and they’re getting exposed to the yoga vibe while the community reaches out and accepts that this is where I am in life. I’m amazed and grateful for their love and kindness. I understand what you say in your post more than you know about the community and the peace of mind and especially the ability to let go of anger and impulsivity…well, I’m still working on that part with my youngest son’s tantrums! But yoga helps tremendously. Thanks for sharing! blessings, L.

95. signofskinny says:

It’s incredible you were able to practice every day!! I’ve been practicing yoga for almost 3 years now and it is so hard to find the time, I admire your determination and persistency. I hope one day I’ll be at a place in my life where I will be able to practice everyday as well. I always feel so good afterwards! I completely agree with you about the food cravings though. I used to practice about 4 times a week and the thought of greasy yummy pizza was no longer appealing. I wanted something fresh and healthy. And I’ve noticed that recently since I have not been practicing as much, my food cravings have switched back to the more unhealthy side. Thanks for an inspiring post, you’ve reminded me why I loved yoga so much in the first place. Not just for the health aspect but for the overall wellness of my body.

96. signofskinny says:

Reblogged this on Sign Of Skinny and commented:
    I happened to stumble across this post and it reminded me of all the amazing reasons why I love yoga so much. Truly an inspiring post, and so motivating. I want to run out right now and take a class!

97. Karen says:

I recently left my sangha and am struggling to find a new one. I completely understand how you feel about the sense of community. It really is beautiful. I was very touched by your description of your birthday. Sounds like it was very special.

98. klyse3 says:

Terrific post! I keep hearing wonderful things about yoga, so I might have to add it to my workout routine – it would certainly be different from the high-powered workouts I’m used to!

99. This is brilliant. I am on a break from yoga but am feeling re-inspired! thanks so much

100. What a beautiful post! 🙂

101. foodlifefitnessart says:

Been thinking about taking yoga up seriously. Thanks for this post!

102. sikkessofia says:

Reblogged this on sikkessofia.

103. lisabdubois says:

This was an awesome article! Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve had a healthy curiosity about yoga for some time now but have been soundly intimidated by the creeking and cracking of my middle-aged bones and joints. But today I am inspired! Thank you again!

104. lisabdubois says:

Reblogged this on Lisa B. DuBois – Writer and commented:
    I’ve had a healthy curiosity about yoga for some time now but have always been intimidated by the creeking and cracking of my middle-aged joints. But today I am inspired! Read on…

105. Reblogged this on The OM Space and commented:
    I really enjoyed reading about Romel’s yogic journey it’s quite delicious – I hope you agree.

106. tejas87 says:

Reblogged this on India.

107. mrsdarlings says:

I also love the quotes on your pictures! <3. Connection to the body ❤

108. lifeofstaci says:

Interesting and very inspiring.. Thanks for sharing to us your ideas & journey with yoga.

Here’s to more happiness and contentment! 😉

BeyondtheDiploma

109. marisaporter says:

I love yoga. I love what I’ve learned from it. I’m going to do more. And I LOVE these quotes. New to your blog – following! 🙂

110. Love this list- can so relate. Congrats on being freshly pressed!

111. rwar makes me want to do yoga ❤ Shanti and dharma for meh. i love the yogi bunny namaste.

112. Eric Moeser says:

This was very inspiring!! I have just recently been practicing yoga several times a week. I used to mock it and say I hated it. I used to live in Sacramento. Wish I could have met you.

113. rabbitsponge says:

I was in two back-to-back car accidents a few years back and got pretty bad neck and back pains that just wouldn’t go away. Tried physical therapy, acupuncture, painkillers, all to no avail. I tried yoga as a last resort, and after three months, the pain was gone! Five years later and I’m a still a die-hard fan Thanks for sharing the joys of yoga with everyone, definitely going to follow!

114. Yotopia says:

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience about Yoga. It’s good to know that more and more people are trying it and liking it after they do. Yoga is really a great way to detoxify, release stress and attain more flexibility. Yoga is vital in providing peace of mind. Thanks again for providing insights regarding what daily practice of Yoga can do.

115. I’ve only been (trying to be) practicing Yoga for 3 weeks now . . . and the change in food cravings (less junk, more greens) is probably the one thing I have noticed most so far (besides the pain). Thank you for sharing your experience. : )

116. KellyN says:

I needed to read this! thinking about yoga for the last three months but resistant for too many dumb reasons. Starting first thing tomorrow. Thank you!

117. Praveen says:

What a great motivation I received from your site and from viewers comments . I’ve know Yoga since I’m a Kid but never understand its benefits. I keep telling my self I have to do something good with my life, but keeping deviating with many things in life, less important. then I though I have to change the way I’m do things and committed to wake up early. Now I have plenty time to do things and stared practicing Yoga. Helps awakening my self asking the very basic questions where do I come from, what I’m doing and what’s my goal being in this body. Life is amazing!

I use the word ‘Namaste’ regularly, but never knew the proper meaning of it. I really loved seeing the real meaning.

#Hari #Om. Namaste.

118. Jennifer says:

I am so happy I found this today! It was very inspirational and only validated all of the feelings I have been feeling and accomplishments I hope to accomplish in my journey. I just started yoga last night and I am so glad I did. I left with a feeling of euphoria and proud that I am doing something for myself. Thank you!

119. afrostardust says:

Reblogged this on afrostardust.

120. IAmAphrica says:

I recently started doing yoga again and I must say, it is the best decision I’ve made! 🙂

121. This is such an inspiring post and that bit at the end about your birthday? It made my eyes fill with tears! Good for you for becoming such an inspiration
    Namaste ❤